I AM A...

New Student FAQs

Welcome! We are excited you have chosen State Tech to develop your skills as you start the next step of your journey. We know you may have many questions about what it is like to be a student at State Tech. We cannot wait for you to arrive for PowerUp and the Week of Welcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our offices virtually.

Contact Us:
Office of Admissions
State Technical College of Missouri
One Technology Drive
Linn, MO 65051
Phone: 573.897.5000
Email: admissions@statetechmo.edu

Admissions Questions

Do I have to take the ACT / SAT / Accuplacer to be admitted?

State Tech utilizes multiple measures to assess students and advise them into the appropriate classes. The measures listed below are required for automatic placement into college level Reading, Writing and Mathematics courses. Students are required to complete a placement test unless they:

  • Have completed English Composition and College Algebra (with a C or better) from accredited institution (including dual credit)
  • Have taken a standardized test (ACT/SAT/Accuplacer) within the past five years, and meet the criterion for college level course placement
  • To view the criteria for your major click here. Choose your anticipated major then click on “Application Requirements” in the right hand corner.

If your scores fall below these measures, we ask that you complete the Accuplacer Placement Test. This is not a timed test, or a pass/fail test. The score(s) you achieve on the test will allow us to register you for the appropriate college courses. The test will cover Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. To schedule the Accuplacer please click here or call 573-897-5000. Accuplacer details can be found on the Admission Requirements webpage.

Admissions Information

How do I get admitted to State Tech?

Fill out the free online application, and submit all other admissions requirements.



How do I know what the admissions requirements are for my major?

All program requirements can be found here. Click on the major you are interested in and in the upper right hand corner of the program page you can access the Application Requirements for that specific program.

Admissions Information

What do I do after I complete the online application?

Check your email that you listed in your online application for information from State Tech. We’ll be sending you your State Tech email and a temporary password. This is an important step as we will be communicating with you via your State Tech email from this point forward.

Admissions Information

I have already taken college courses somewhere else, how do I get credit for those at State Tech?

Please have your previous institution(s) send official transcripts to Admissions. Once they are received, the Registrar’s office will evaluate the transcripts and award transfer credit if they are applicable to the major you are pursuing at State Tech.

This applies to dual credit courses as well.

Admissions Information

How do I get my transcripts to State Tech?

Submit all transcripts including: HSE/GED, high school and official college if applicable. Transcripts should be sent to the Admissions Office at our main campus by one of the following methods:

Admissions Information

How am I going to pay for college?

Don’t stress, there are multiple ways to pay for college. Complete the FAFSA and our scholarship application to help fund your education.

Scholarship Information

What happens after I receive my acceptance packet?

CELEBRATE! Take a photo with your #iamstatetech banner and post it to social media. You will be invited to a registration event where you will meet with your academic advisor to discuss your goals and class schedule. This is an opportunity to get your student ID card as well as purchase any books, tools or supplies needed for your major.

How will I know which books, tools, and supplies are needed for my major?

All book, tool, and supply lists can be found through the State Tech Bookstore page below.




When I get admitted to State Tech, do I have to live in on-campus housing?

Living in on-campus housing is optional and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here to view on and off campus housing options.

Housing Information

How do I get my Student ID Card?

If you do not already have your Student ID card, you can stop by Activity Center front desk and they will help you get your card.

How do I request a transcript?

To request an official State Technical College of Missouri transcript, submit a Transcript Release form to the Academic Records Office. Transcript Release forms are available in the Academic Records Office and on the State Technical College of Missouri website here. There is no charge for requesting transcripts.

Transcript Request

Unofficial transcripts are available on myTech on the Student tab under myGrades.

What are the core requirements?

The Coordinating Board For Higher Education-Recommended College Preparatory High School Core Curriculum

State Technical College of Missouri recommends the Coordinating Board for Higher    Education (CBHE) Minimum 24-unit High School CORE Curriculum for its entering     first-year students:

  • English/Language Arts 4 units
  • Social Studies 3 units
  • Mathematics 4 units*
  • Science 3 units
  • Fine Arts 1 unit
  • Additional Coursework 3 units**
  • Electives 6 units***


*At least one mathematics course should be taken each year. It is particularly important             that students take a mathematics course in grade 12.


** Missouri public high school students are required by the State Board of Education to                         complete units in practical arts (1), physical education (1), health education (1/2), and             personal finance (1/2).


*** All students should complete at least 3 total elective units in foreign language and/or             other courses within high school core content areas defined below. Two units of a single             foreign language are strongly recommended.


For each high school core content area, descriptions follow that provide illustrations of             coursework acceptable and unacceptable for the high school core curriculum.

English/Language Arts – 4 units

  • English/language arts coursework (4 units) emphasizes college preparatory composition, research skills, analysis of literature, and other content of comparable or greater rigor. Speech and debate courses may be included.
  • Coursework not acceptable for the high school core curriculum emphasizes student publications, broadcast media, or theater.

Social Studies – 3 units

  • Social studies coursework (3 units) emphasizes American history, Missouri government and Missouri history as required by state statute, geography/world civilizations, and other content of comparable or greater rigor.
  • Coursework not acceptable for the high school core curriculum emphasizes family/human development or consumer education.

Mathematics – 4 units

  • Mathematics coursework (4 units) emphasizes college preparatory algebra and other content of comparable or greater rigor. Students who complete algebra prior to the freshman year would be expected to complete four additional units in grades 9-12. Students who achieve a proficiency score of 3 or 4 on the Smarter Balanced grade 11 assessment must demonstrate continued study of mathematics for the score to be considered valid in the first year of college.
  • Coursework that emphasizes pre-algebra, computer math/programming, consumer/basic math, or business math/accounting is not acceptable for the CBHE Recommended College Preparatory High School core curriculum.

Science – 3 units

  • Science coursework (3 units) emphasizes college preparatory biology, chemistry, and other content of comparable or greater rigor. Science coursework should include at least one laboratory course.
  • Coursework not acceptable for the high school core curriculum emphasizes general or consumer science.

Fine Arts – 1 unit

  • Fine arts coursework (1 unit) emphasizes visual arts, instrumental or vocal music, dance, theater, or other content of comparable or greater rigor. Critical analysis, theory, or “appreciation” courses may be included.
  • Coursework not acceptable for the high school core curriculum emphasizes speech, debate, or broadcast media.

Do you have to register to attend open house?

You do not have to register, however, it is preferred.

Is this event free to attend?

Yes, this a free event.

Can anyone attend Show-Me State Tech powered by open house?

Yes, open house is open to anyone who is interested in attending.

Academic Advising

How do I receive Academic Advising?

Faculty serve as academic advisors at State Tech, and faculty advisors help students navigate through the college and follow their academic plan. In addition, they can help students progress further in their chosen program, because they are experts in the field. Finally, they can assist with making connections to people within industry and organizations for internship and employment opportunities.

When should I see an advisor?

During registration, you will meet with your advisor about the next sequence of courses you need to complete for your degree. By visiting with your advisor, it ensures your understanding of the classes needed to complete your degree. This is the perfect time to ask any questions you may have about your education. In addition, this is a time when you can review your personal and career goals.

Is it mandatory for me to see an advisor?

Yes. Each student at State Tech meets with their advisor and discusses the next sequence of courses each semester. The student and advisor will discuss the course schedule, talk about any questions or concerns the student has, and make sure they are on track to complete their degree on time.

How do I prepare for an advising session?

Your advisor will have a copy of your schedule for the upcoming semester. They will go over it with you and ask if you have any questions. You and the advisor will review the program requirements and discuss elements to include:

  • Courses required to complete your degree program
  • Program requirements
  • Graduation requirements
  • What it means to be in good academic standing

You may also talk about plans outside the classroom including discussions about internships and job placement after graduation.

You may want to start thinking about several items:

  • What career do I want? Where do I want to live?
  • What are my life goals? How can these jobs help me achieve them?
  • How can I fit work in with my current schedule?

Once you sign off on the course schedule, your Advisor will sign it as well, and the schedule becomes official. You will be able to find a copy in myTech.

Books, Tools, and Gear

Where do I get my books?

Our bookstore, conveniently located on bottom level across from the Main Stream Cafe, has books, supplies, gifts and much more. Textbooks are listed by course name and number so you may want to bring your schedule along when shopping. Textbooks may be bought or rented. It is best to buy your books early so you can pick up the cheaper used editions. Keep your receipt, and don’t mark in your books until you’re sure you’re going to stay in the class. If you receive financial aid you may be eligible to receive a book voucher which can be accessed during your checkout process in the bookstore. No need to stop anywhere else for that.

You can also visit the bookstore online.


Where can I get my State Tech gear?

If you would like to order some State Tech gear, please visit our online bookstore through our website. We are shipping orders daily.

Bookstore Information


What kind of laptop should I get?

Most modern laptop computers, both Windows & Mac, come equipped off the shelf with the basic performance requirements needed for accessing common course resources at State Tech (with the exception of courses for Commercial Turf and Grounds, Civil Engineering, and Drafting and Design that require special software such as AutoDesk, which may require a computer with additional upgrades. The bookstore will have such laptops available for purchase. Students will sign a lease-to purchase-agreement, the cost of which will be built into student fees. Students’ financial aid benefits could pay for this laptop (please check with financial aid office to see if you have excess aid to assist).  Students will have the option to purchase laptops for $1 upon graduation.). The use of Chromebooks is discouraged due to their limited compatibility. For more specific hardware recommendations or to ask a technology related question you can reach out to the Help Desk at helpdesk@statetchmo.edu.

Financial Aid

How do I get financial aid?

All students must complete the FAFSA in order to receive financial aid. This form must be completed every academic year and is available beginning in December of this year for the 2024-2025 academic year. The processing time on the FAFSA is 4-6 weeks, so early processing is highly recommended. For more information on applying for aid, please visit http://www.fafsa.ed.gov or contact the Office of Financial Aid at 573-897-5000, option 2.

Financial Aid Information

What if I have financial aid?

It is your responsibility to ensure with Financial Aid that all appropriate paperwork has been completed and submitted to the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid Information

When will I receive my financial aid refund?

Financial aid is posted to student accounts 30 days after the start of the semester. All credit balances are refunded via check approximately 2 weeks after the aid is posted to student accounts and are ready for pickup on the designated credit balance refund date.

Financial Aid Information

What is the difference between a grant, scholarship, and a loan?

A grant is a gift that does not have to be repaid; it is based on the student’s financial need. A scholarship is an achievement award which is usually based on academic grades, abilities, skills, test scores, class rank, etc. Loans are funds borrowed by the student and/or parent. In most cases, loans must be repaid with an interest charge during a specified repayment period.

Financial Aid Information

Are scholarships available to State Tech students?

There are scholarships available to State Tech students through the State Technical College Foundation Office. Students should complete the General Scholarship Application. Application deadlines are March 15 for the fall semester and October 15 for the spring semester. Visit our Scholarship Page for further information about scholarships.

Scholarship Information

How do I accept my financial aid?

Log onto the Financial Aid Portal and review your options under the Menu in the top left corner of the screen.

How do I receive my A+ funds?

A+ students must complete the FAFSA form, an award offer, and an A+ agreement. Students must also submit a final high school transcript with the A+ designation. If the student has completed any college coursework after high school graduation, college transcripts must be submitted to evaluate A+ eligibility. Please see below for more information on A+ Scholarships.

A+ Scholarship Information

What does A+ pay for?

A+ currently covers standard tuition and fee charges after the Pell Grant has been applied. A+ does not cover additional program or class fees, books, tools, supplies or living expenses. See below for more information on A+.

A+ Scholarship Information


In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?

Yes. In order to receive consideration for all programs you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. You may file the FAFSA beginning October 1, but are encouraged to submit by the February 1 priority deadline.

What happens if I fail to submit my electronic award?

Students who wish to accept financial aid must accept their electronic award and submit the acceptance.

Financial Aid Information

Is there a maximum income level that will make me ineligible for financial aid?

No. Income level does not automatically disqualify you for financial aid. Other variables, such as the number in the family and the number attending college are taken into consideration.

Financial Aid Information

What are the factors that determine need?

Most people have the misconception that income is the only factor in determining need. Other variables are considered such as: family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, savings, investments, and various allowances to income and assets.

Financial Aid Information

What are my chances of receiving financial aid?

The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Some form of financial assistance will be offered at the school you choose. The assistance may include student or parent loans.

Financial Aid Information

What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

All tuition and fees must be paid by the first day of the semester. All financial aid paperwork should be submitted to the Financial Aid Office at State Tech by the first day of the semester.

If I missed the deadline, can I still apply for financial aid?

Yes, you must be enrolled at the time funds are disbursed and you must be making academic progress. You must be prepared to cover your expenses from your own resources if you apply late.

Financial Aid Information

Why didn’t I receive a financial award?

If you do not receive an electronic award, you should contact the Financial Aid Office. We may not have received an electronic copy of your FAFSA results or there may be problems with your FAFSA. You may contact us at 573-897-5000, option 2 or visit the Financial Aid Office in the Information Technology Center, Room 100.

Financial Aid Information

What is State Technical College of Missouri’s Title IV (FAFSA) code?

Will it affect my federal financial aid if I drop a class during the semester?

Before dropping any class or classes, please visit the Financial Aid Office to discuss how this may impact your financial aid eligibility.

Do I need a separate form to apply for a Student Loan?

You need only to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All new students must do loan entrance counseling and a master loan promissory note.

Financial Aid Information

Do I need a separate form to apply for a Parent Loan?

Yes. Parent Loans are credit worthy loans. All parents who accept a parent loan (PLUS) should complete a credit check as soon as possible.

Will I be required to submit additional forms to State Tech other than the FAFSA?

Possibly, if you are selected for review in a process called verification we will contact you via e-mail about additional paperwork requirements. You can also check for missing documents by logging into myTech.

How long after I complete my Ford Federal Loan promissory note before I can receive the money?

If all necessary paperwork is complete, financial aid is credited to student accounts approximately 30 days after the start of the semester. Any refunds to students will be made available with the Cashier approximately 14 days after financial aid has been posted.

Financial Aid Information

How can I apply for work study?

Visit the Financial Aid Office at the beginning of the semester to discuss eligibility and hours of availability.

Financial Aid Information

Do I need to submit tax returns to the Office of Student Services?

Only if our office requests additional information be submitted as part of the verification process.

Financial Aid Information

What does it take to be considered an independent student?

Any one of the following will result in a student being considered independent for federal student aid programs:

Is there any aid available if I decide to attend summer school and how do I apply?

If you plan to attend the summer sessions, you must notify our office to discuss your options.

Financial Aid Information

What happens if I list ‘no income’ on the FAFSA application?

If you did not earn any wages, then report zero income on your FAFSA application. You may be selected for Verification.

Financial Aid Information

If my parents are separated or divorced, whose income is reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

The parent you live with should complete the FAFSA. If the parent you live with has remarried, the income of that parent and their new spouse (step-parent) must be used.

Financial Aid Information

What is the interest rate on my student loans?

Borrowers with loans made prior to July 1, 2006, will have a variable rate adjusted annually (July 1). The interest rate will not exceed 8.25%. Borrowers with loans guaranteed after July 1, 2006, will have a fixed rate interest, please see the chart for interest information on the Loan Information Page. Subsidized loans are need-based aid and interest does not accrue while you are in school. Unsubsidized loans are not need-based and the interest will accrue on a quarterly basis. You will receive a quarterly interest statement from the Loan Servicing Center. You may pay the interest if you choose but, you are not required to do so.  The 2019-20 interest rate is 4.53%.

Financial Aid Information

What is the interest rate on my parent loans?

Borrowers with loans made prior to July 1, 2006, will have a variable rate adjusted annually (July 1). The interest rate will not exceed 9%. Borrowers with loans guaranteed after July 1, 2006, will have a fixed rate interest of 8.5%. Parent loans are repayable 60 days after the loan has been fully disbursed. The 2019-20 interest rate is 7.08%.

Financial Aid Information

What should I do if my family’s financial circumstances change after I apply for financial aid?

If a family’s financial circumstances have changed due to death of a parent, divorce, separation, or loss of employment, they should contact the Financial Aid Office. Special circumstances may include:

  • A 30% reduction in income due to changes in employment from last year to this year
  • Excessive medical expenses not covered by insurance
  • Change in marital status due to divorce or separation
  • Death of a primary wage earner

You may be asked to provide:

  • Base year income information, layoff or termination notices, projected income information for the current year, Verification Worksheet and other income information in support of your request
  • Copies of medical bills and evidence that payment arrangements have been made
  • Copies of divorce decrees, W-2’s or other income information as required
  • Death certificate of primary wage earner and W-2s or other income information as required
  • The Special Circumstances Form

Financial Aid Information

Will the financial aid offered at one school transfer to another school?

No. Financial aid does not transfer from school to school. Students planning to transfer to another school should contact the Financial Aid Offices at both schools to find out what is required.

Financial Aid Information

Housing and Food Services

What are my housing options?

State Tech offers campus housing for 144 students. Our 9 cottages each contain 8 dorm rooms that can be occupied as single or double occupancy. Visit our housing page below for more information.

Housing Information


State Tech also provides a list of off-campus housing in the community. Visit below for a list of off-campus options.

Off-Campus Housing Information

Are there spots available in housing?

Currently there is a waitlist for Fall 2022 Housing. Please reach out to housing@statetechmo.edu to inquire further about waitlist information.

Housing Information

How do I apply for housing?

The housing department must receive a signed housing agreement and a $350 security deposit.

Housing Application Process

How much does housing cost?

Visit State Tech’s Housing page for information on housing rates.

Housing Information

When is Move-In?

Move-In occurs each semester on the Sunday before semester classes begins. The Housing team will host a BBQ dinner, tailgate games, and cottage meetings Sunday evening.

Housing Information

What is in your room upon moving into campus housing?

  • 2 Loft Beds
  • 2 Desks, 2 Chairs
  • Closet Space (3 drawer dresser in each closet)
  • High Speed Internet
  • Private Bathroom (toilet, sink, shower)

Does State Tech have options to eat on campus?

Aladdin provides meals on campus for our students, faculty, and staff in two locations on campus.

Campus Dining

Can I get a meal plan if I do not live in housing?

Yes, all State Tech students can purchase meal plans.

Campus Dining

When Will I Get a Room Assignment?

Once we receive an application and deposit, you are placed on a waitlist for the semester you would like to move-in to housing. Then, the housing department will begin to make room assignments in March for the Summer and Fall semesters.

I would like to cancel my room assignment, how do I get a refund?

Please submit an email or written notice stating that you would like to cancel your assignment. This notification can be sent to housing@statetechmo.edu. Cancellations received after each semester’s drop date will result in forfeit of the deposit, please contact housing@statetechmo.edu for date inquiries.

Housing Information

How do I pay for housing?

Housing charges can be supported with financial aid. Financial aid is first applied to tuition and fees within the student account. Remaining aid can be applied to housing and meal plan charges.

Please start by completing the FAFSA and adding the State Tech School code: 004711. You can also speak to one of our Financial Aid professionals by contacting or visiting their office.

Financial Aid Information

How Do I Request a Roommate?

Our required roommate matching form is available under the “Housing Application Process” tab of the Housing webpage.

Housing Information

Do I Get My Deposit Back if I Don’t Get a Room Assignment?

Yes. If you do not receive a room assignment, you may ask the Residence Life-Student Services Coordinator to initiate a refund of your deposit. Some applicants choose to remain on the waitlist to see if a spot opens up for the semester you would like to move in.

What Should I Bring to Campus on Move-in Day?

  • Pillow/Pillow cases
  • 2 sets of XL Twin Sheets
  • 2 blankets
  • Towels (3 each of bath, hand, and face)
  • Twin XL mattress pad
  • Comforter/bedspread
  • Laundry detergent, dryer sheets
  • Clothes hangers
  • Laundry bag/basket
  • Drying Rack
  • Area Rug
  • Desk Lamp
  • Dishes, utensils
  • Trash Can
  • Bath Mat
  • TV
  • Shower Curtain
  • Cleaning Supplies – Toilet cleaner, shower cleaner, dish soap, all-purpose cleaner with bleach
  • Toiletries –Shampoo, body wash, soap, toilet paper, medicine, etc.
  • Mini Fridge
  • Small Microwave
  • Storage Bins
  • Surge Protector
  • Ethernet cord for computer or gaming console
  • Shower Caddy
  • Charcoal if you like to grill

What if I want to request a room change?

Students may request a room change by e-mailing housing@statetechmo.edu. Changes will be made as inventory allows.

What does parking look like if I live on campus?

  • Each student who has a room assignment will receive a parking sticker.
  • Students should place the parking sticker on the passenger side front window.
  • During the day (8:00 AM – 5:00 PM), housing students must park in Housing.
  • If a housing student is found parking in other lots between 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, they will receive a parking ticket.

How does on campus housing mail work?

Mail Service

  • Packages are held during the day and the Resident Assistant (RA) on duty will notify students of packages. They can be picked up after 5:00 PM in the RA Office in the Housing Commons building.
  • Students need to show State Tech picture ID to claim their package.
  • Each student has a mailbox in the Housing Commons building.


Addressing Mail/Packages

Student’s Name
Cottage Letter, Room Number
1 Technology Drive
Linn, MO 65051

What if I don’t want to live on campus? Are there off campus options in Linn, MO?

  • State Technical College of Missouri provides a list of off-campus housing in the community. The list can be found at https://statetechmo.edu/campus-services/housing/
  • Students will need to work with the property owners listed to apply and pay for off campus housing.
  • There are many off campus options (houses, apartments, rooms to rent, trailers, etc.) at many different price points.

What should I do if I am having issues with housing or my roommate?

The best place to start if you are having issues with housing or your roommate is your cottage Resident Assistant. Resident Assistants are student staff members who live within each cottage. They are trained in helping students navigate tough situations such as roommate conflicts, academic concerns, personal struggles, or emergencies. They will also connect you with other Residential Life and campus resources. State Tech also has a Residence Life-Student Services Coordinator. The Residence Coordinator supervises the Resident Assistants along with day-to-day building operations. They are there to assist students and may be reached by visiting the Activities Center or at: housing@statetechmo.edu.

Information Technology Services

Where is the Information Technology Help Desk located?

The State Tech I.T. Help Desk is located in the Information Technology Center (ITC), right by the Cashier’s window, across from Admissions, and very near the Library.  Normal operating hours during the fall and spring semesters are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  During the summer semester the hours are Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday, 8:00 a.m. to noon. they can be reached at 573-897-5200.

How do I obtain my username and password to log in to a campus compter?

A username and password are generated early in the application process and will typically be sent to you by letter in your Welcome Packet; however, should this not have been the case, they can be obtained by calling or visiting the I.T. Help Desk.

I forgot my email username and password OR my myTech username and password. How do I recover it?

Information pertaining to student e-mail and myTech accounts can be obtained by visiting IT Help Desk or calling at 573-897-5200. Password information may not be given through e-mail and will only be given with proper photo identification such as driver’s license or student I.D. for in-person visits OR proof of Social Security number or student I.D. number in the case of phone conversations.

How do I log into my e-mail?

Microsoft Outlook, through Microsoft Office 365, is the chosen e-mail platform for the State Tech campus.  To log in initially, start at the State Tech website, click on the myTech tab at the top of the page, and then look for the Quick Link on the left margin that says Campus Email Login.  Clicking this will take you to the exact sign-in location for getting to your e-mail.  From that point you can have your browser save the page as a favorite and/or save your password to make accessing your e-mail that much faster next time.

Can I log into my e-mail on my phone?

Absolutely. Any device that has internet access can be used. Microsoft Outlook can be downloaded on IOS and Android devices.

I can’t access myTech. What should I do?

Call the IT Help Desk at 573-897-5200.  Sometimes the network is fussy or very, very busy and results in intermittent outages.  Try giving it some time, but by all means when frustrated after multiple attempts, let the Help Desk know.  They are probably already working on it, but it never hurts to check.

How do I reset my e-mail password and / or my myTech password?

E-mail passwords are managed by Microsoft Outlook and require the I.T. Help Desk to reset; however, myTech passwords can be changed by the student once they are signed in using the Personal Info link at the top by their name. Please note: myTech passwords must be 8 characters or less. Any assistance or questions relating to passwords can be directed to the I.T. Help Desk.

I lost my schedule. How can I get a copy?

You can access a printable copy of your schedule by logging in to myTech and searching under the Student tab.

What other applications do I have access to through my student Microsoft Office 365 account, and how do I access them?

Once a student signs in to Office 365 in order to access their e-mail, several other applications are also made available to them including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneDrive. These applications are web-based only and cannot be downloaded to a student’s PC; however, their utilization is completely free and can be accessed at any PC with an internet connection. By default, any documents created using these applications are saved in the student’s OneDrive account and not on the PC being used. Details about the use of these applications can be explored with the I.T. Help Desk, other students, and instructors who also have these apps available.

How can I check / update my address?

1. Go to myTech

2. Login with your username (firstname.lastname) and password.

3. Click on the “Personal Info” link next to your name.

4. Select the “Biographical Info” tab. You should see your information that is currently listed in the system. If you need to make any changes, please email registrar@statetechmo.edu or helpdesk@statetechmo.edu from your State Tech e-mail address.

Do I need my own computer for classes at State Tech and, if so, what do you recommend?

While this question is somewhat dependent on the major program selected by the student, in general, owning a PC is not mandatory. There are several computer labs throughout campus that can be used to sign in to the student’s on-line Microsoft Office 365 account. Program-specific software is loaded on many of these lab PC’s, especially those in the library. Keep in mind that as a general rule in regards to student PC purchases, the I.T. Help Desk is very limited as to technical support for Mac and iOS devices (Apple). That being said, with a reasonable education budget and the use of the typical retail sales deals for the beginning of the school year one will find an excellent choice of PC options. Individualized questions can be directed to the student’s advisor, program director, or the I.T. Help Desk.

What kind of laptop should I get?

Most modern laptop computers, both Windows & Mac, come equipped off the shelf with the basic performance requirements needed for accessing common course resources at State Tech (with the exception of courses for Commercial Turf and Grounds, Civil Engineering, and Drafting and Design that require special software such as AutoDesk, which may require a computer with additional upgrades. The bookstore will have such laptops available for purchase. Students will sign a lease-to purchase-agreement, the cost of which will be built into student fees. Students’ financial aid benefits could pay for this laptop (please check with financial aid office to see if you have excess aid to assist).  Students will have the option to purchase laptops for $1 upon graduation.). The use of Chromebooks is discouraged due to their limited compatibility. For more specific hardware recommendations or to ask a technology related question you can reach out to the Help Desk at helpdesk@statetchmo.edu.

Cashier and Business Office Questions

How do I view the charges in my student account, or my student account balance?

Your student account information can be viewed by logging into your myTech account under the Student tab and myFinancial Information.

When is tuition due?

Student account balances are due in full by the first day of the semester. The balance will incur a 2% finance charge each month it remains unpaid. Students can avoid the monthly finance charge by setting up a payment plan and making their monthly payments on time.

Financial Aid Information

Are payment plans available to pay my student account balance?

If you are unable to pay your student account balance in full by the first day of the semester, State Tech offers a 3-month and 4-month payment plan option. Contact the Cashier’s Office at 573-897-5121 for more information.

Financial Aid Information

How can I pay for my student account balance?

State Tech accepts cash, check, money order, and debit/credit card payments. Payments can be made at the Cashier’s Office window, through your myTech account under ‘myFinancial Account,’ by mail, or over the phone by calling 573-897-5121. If you would like to send a payment via mail, please send to the following address:

State Technical College of Missouri
Attn: Cashier
One Technology Drive
Linn, MO 65051

What if my tuition is covered by a third party?

If your tuition is to be covered by a third party, it is your responsibility to work with your third party contact and the Cashier’s Office to ensure that both the third party contact and the Cashier’s Office has received the appropriate paperwork in order for your tuition to be covered.

How will I receive any refunds due to me?

If you are due a refund, you will receive a check for the refund owed. Refund checks are made available for pickup at the Cashier’s Office window. When your refund check is ready for pickup, you will receive an email notification.  

Can I get a book voucher?

If your financial aid exceeds your institutional charges, or you receive funding from a third party agency that will cover the cost of required books, tools, or supplies, you may charge your purchases to your student account in the bookstore (some sources of funding may have restrictions on items that can be charged).  To be eligible to charge bookstore items to your student account, a student must have all financial aid paperwork completed.  Eligible students can charge allowable amounts to their accounts for the first two weeks of the semester.

Bookstore Information

Academic Resource Center

I am struggling academically in one of my classes. Is there tutoring available?

Yes, The Academic Resource Center (ARC) offers FREE tutoring in all general education classes (Math, Science, History, Communications, and paper edits). Tutors are also available in program specific classes outside of the ARC and can be found by asking your program instructor or department chair.

Academic Resource Center

Are there any online tutoring options?

How do I sign up for tutoring?

There is no need to sign up. Being enrolled at State Tech automatically makes you eligible for free tutoring in the ARC.

Academic Resource Center

How do I make an appointment for a tutoring session?

There is no need to make an appointment! Students can drop in for an appointment any time the ARC is open.

How much does a tutoring session cost?

All tutoring through the ARC is free to currently enrolled State Tech students.

Academic Resource Center

Who works in the ARC?

The ARC employs both staff and student tutors. The staff tutors are professionals with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a math, science, or communications related field. Student tutors are required to have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 to apply for a tutoring position.

Academic Resource Center

Developmental Classes

What is a “developmental” course?

“Developmental” courses help students gain basic skills knowledge important to the understanding required in later course work. Basic skills instruction is important to students who need to learn or review procedures in reading, writing, mathematics and science.

Why does a student have to take a developmental course?

Students’ placement test scores in English, mathematics, and reading are used to determine their achievement levels. Students with identified scores take appropriate basic skills courses.

Is there any way a student can still try to test out of developmental courses?

General Education course placements are based on your ACT and/or Accuplacer test scores. If you feel that any of your general education placements aren’t reflective of your actual skill level, please contact Admissions@statetechmo.edu or Christy.Fick@statetechomo.edu to schedule a retest.

Assessment exams are $10 for internal test and $20 for Accuplacer test.

Will a developmental course count towards a student’s graduation?

Developmental courses are graded and are recorded on the transcript. These courses enable students to take subsequent college-level work. The hours and credit earned in developmental courses do not count toward the hours and grade point requirements for graduation; however, the courses count toward full-time status and eligibility for financial aid.

Admissions Information

Weather-Related Delays and Cancellations

How do I know if classes are cancelled due to the weather?

On those occasions when it is necessary to alter State Tech’s schedule because of weather conditions, State Tech administrators will communicate closings, cancellations and delays through State Tech Alert, as well as public notification through local media resources (television, radio, and social media). Every effort will be made to notify all those affected as quickly and comprehensively as possible. All State Tech community members should remember that in all situations you should never put yourself in harm’s way by driving or going out into the weather if you believe the risks are too high!

Is there a way to receive notifications about MCTC delays and closings?

Yes, you may choose to sign-up to receive alert notifications via the State Tech Rave Alert system. To sign up, please follow these steps:

  • Go to statetechmo.edu
  • Click on the myTech link on the home page.
  • Click on the “Home” tab.
  • Click on “State Tech Alerts” info.
  • Click on “State Tech Alerts Instructions”.

If there is a two hour delay, how will I know when my classes are for that day?

Students should go to the class that would begin at the stated delay time. A two-hour delay means that classes that begin at 10:00 a.m. begin on time. Classes that have a scheduled start time before 10:00 a.m. are cancelled for the day.

Are there any other local resources for severe weather?

Be aware of weather conditions at all times, especially if severe weather is predicted.

  • Sign up for alerts through Smart 911 by going to smart911.com
  • Check MODOT road map by going to http://traveler.modot.org/map/index.html
  • Sign up for an email or text alert from local television stations.
  • Download a weather app for smartphones or mobile devices (many are free).

If you receive a severe weather message, spread the word to your co–workers and family members, especially those who work outside.

Academic Probation

What will happen if my grades are poor?

You must keep a certain grade point average to avoid Academic Probation. A student receiving an overall semester GPA of below 2.0 is placed on academic probation for one semester. Program standards that exceed this requirement will take precedence. This is a warning to the student that his/her grades in the next semester must improve to above 2.000 overall semester GPA to avoid academic suspension. Academic probation does not prohibit a student from enrolling in the next semester’s classes. A student that is put on academic probation is required to meet with a college counselor to complete a Student Success Plan.

What happens if I am on probation and receive a GPA below 2.0 again?

A student with an overall semester GPA below 2.000 for two (2) consecutive semesters will be suspended from State Technical College of Missouri. A student suspended from the college as a result of low grades shall not return to State Technical College of Missouri for the next semester during which the student is expected to be enrolled. Program standards that exceed this requirement will take precedence. A student returning from academic suspension must reapply to the college to begin taking classes again. A student returning from suspension will be on academic probation during that first semester back. If, at the end of that semester, a student earns less than a 2.0 semester GPA, he/she be suspended for another semester.

How do I withdraw from a course?

A student may withdraw from a class during the first three quarters of the class. Withdrawal during this time will be recorded on the transcript as “WD”. After three quarters of any class, withdrawals and “WD” grades are not allowed, and letter grades are assigned by instructors.

NOTE: There may be costs associated with withdrawing from any or all classes. See the sections on “Student Financial Aid Information” and “Refunds” or discuss this with the Financial Services Coordinator and Financial Aid staff who are located in the Information Technology Center.

A completed Add/Drop form must be submitted to the Academic Records Office to officially withdraw from a class. This form is available online and at the Academic Records Office.

Failure to attend class does not constitute withdrawal from that class. Students remain financially responsible for classes from which he/she does not officially withdraw.

How do I completely withdraw from State Tech?

To officially withdraw from State Technical College of Missouri, a student must complete a Withdrawal Form and submit the completed form to the Academic Records Office or Office of Financial Aid to have the form processed. The date of withdrawal will be the last date of attendance at a documented academic-related activity. Upon any consideration of withdrawal, the student is strongly encouraged to speak with the Financial Aid staff. Failure to complete a Withdrawal Form and officially withdraw from classes may result in the student receiving an “F” grade for each class in which he/she is enrolled. The student will be held responsible for the full cost of each class in which he/she is enrolled. Failure to attend classes does not constitute a withdrawal from the college.

I am a... a...